… WHAT? – an actual fly this time – no tying quite yet.
I pulled in relatively late last evening and I only got to look at the water around dusk. It looked great and does today as I’m writing this, but we’re getting a slug of rain today and tomorrow (if you can believe the weatherman & I do this time). So, I’m catching up and saw this visitor out on the deck.
I took some measurements and the overall length is about 12 mm (tip of head to tip of wing). The head is about 1 mm and the body – I’m breaking down into two parts as the front portion really looks like it’s a dark grey if not black, and the rear portion a mix of tans and hints of a light-ish olive &/or green. The body parts – front and rear about 3 mm each – for an overall body of about 6 – 6.5 mm. I know 3 and 3 equal 6 folks, I can add but the precision of the measurements are subject to the eye of the beholder so, you can decided for yourself. The wings were about 10.5 mm. The overall length I measured was about 12 mm. Therefore the head must range between 1 – 1.5 mm.
Over-exposed for your viewing pleasure…
There’s definitely some light green to light olive in ‘them there’ abdomen in my opinion. If you’re tying, you might consider some of that.
So I basically just got here and plan on getting out when I can.
Here’s a thought, 50 degrees outside and raining to beat the band, maybe I should tie some flies?! What a novel (hardly) thought! Well, there’s a few other projects I want to get going but time shall tell.
However, I did get a report that these caddis have been around and fishing them wouldn’t be the worst decision made I don’t think. Not sure how long they’ve been ‘going’ or how long they’ll last considering we’re suppose to get close to an inch of rain between today, Friday, and Saturday. It’s anybody’s guess what this will do to Big Pine. It is a wide-spread precipitation event so I’m sure it’ll go up – question is how much. If you can believe the weatherman/woman, they say that we’ll see some drier conditions several days after this shot of rain. I’ll trust him/her that it’s going to rain as forecast, but the part where we’re going to get a week of nice weather after this rain – they’re pushing their luck with me on that prediction. Time shall tell.
Till we see each other again… reporting live from Slate Run… UB